World Fair Trade Day, May 20
Come join us in celebrating World Fair Trade Day on Saturday May 20th!
Help spread awareness about Fair Trade practices, learn about some awesome Fair Trade products and artisans, and enjoy our annual Fair Trade Quiz!
Fair Trade is a tangible contribution to the fight against poverty, climate change and global economic crises. The World Fair Trade Organization (WFTO) believes that trade must benefit the most vulnerable and deliver sustainable livelihoods by developing opportunities especially for small and disadvantaged producers.
Fair Traders follow these 9 guidelines prescribed by the Fair Trade Federation:
- Create Opportunities for Economically and Socially Marginalized Producers - Placing the interests of producers and their communities as the primary concern.
- Develop Transparent and Accountable Relationships - Relationships that are open, fair, consistent, and respectful.
- Build Capacity - Helping producers to build capacity through proactive communication, financial and technical assistance, market information, and dialogue.
- Promote Fair Trade - Raising awareness about Fair Trade and the possibility of greater justice in the global economic system.
- Pay Promptly and Fairly - Empowering producers to set prices within the framework of the true costs of labor time, materials, sustainable growth, and related factors.
- Support Safe and Empowering Working Conditions - Cultivating workplaces that empower people to participate in the decisions that affect them, and seeking to eliminate discrimination based on race, caste, national origin, religion, disability, gender, sexual orientation, union membership, political affiliation, age, marital, or health status.
- Ensure the Rights of Children - Respecting and supporting the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child, as well as local laws and social norms. All children have the right to security, education, and play.
- Cultivate Environmental Stewardship - Encouraging environmentally sustainable practices throughout the entire trading chain.
- Respect Cultural Identity - Celebrating the cultural diversity of communities, while seeking to create positive and equitable change.
Learn more at
Plowsharing Anniversary Sale, June 15-17
Come join us for our Anniversary Celebration Sale!
It's been 32 wonderful years of providing Fair Trade merchandise to St. Louis, so on June 15-17 come into any Plowsharing Crafts store and receive
25% Off Everything in the store*
Enjoy Fair Trade coffee and chocolate samples, and see what's new at Plowsharing Crafts!
It was 32 years ago that the first Plowsharing Crafts store was opened in Maplewood on Manchester, staffed entirely by volunteers, inspired by a vision of supporting artisans from around the world with sustainable work. Our University City store opened 2 years later in 1987, and we've been an institution in the Loop ever since.
We look forward to celebrating with you soon!
*discount cannot be combined with any other option. Food items are excluded.